• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Oil Door Latch Repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

78TARROW

Reaction score
My 1978 Turbo Arrow has developed a minor ailment due, no doubt, to too much time outside.

The latch that holds the oil door closed has corroded enough that the door does not reliably remain closed. The corrosion allows too much movement in the pin that serves as an “axle” for the release button. I don’t see this as a repairable part separate from the upper cowling. While it is riveted in, I have to believe it is replaceable. Does anyone have analogous experience?

Duct tape is marvelously effective in such things (have used it to get military aircraft out of a sticky situation), but I refuse to use it here.

Thanks,

Latest posts

Back