• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Oil Change without filter change.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im looking for some input on a situation Im in. I am slated to fly up to Cincinnati from Florida this Saturday (7 hrs flight) and noticed I was up against an oil change. I should have checked this earlier, but that ship has sailed. Weather is pushing my flight window back to Friday and I work the next two days 14 hrs a day and don't get home until its getting dark. I called the local FBO and asked the cost of an oil change and was quoted just shy of 300 bucks. WOW what the hell do they do that costs that much? I can get up friday morning and be at the airport at the crack of dawn and do the full oil change, but then will have to drive home and get cleaned up before leaving, wasting valuable morning smooth flying time. The second option is to fire up the plane and warm up the oil and only change the oil and leave the filter there for the next oil change. That would be quick and would not make the mess or take the time a full oil/ filter change. I will be putting about 15-18 hrs on the plane for this trip and don't think its a good idea to run that far of the 49 hr time that is on the current oil. So what ya all think?
k

Latest posts

Back