• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Nosegear link and brace assembly failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a bit of a problem with my Arrow's nosegear this afternoon. Here's a photo looking up into the nosegear wheel well. The bottom of the photo is forward, and the top is aft.
PXL_20220215_203221465.jpg

I was very lucky -- I was able to extend the gear, land safely, and taxi to a safe area without the nosegear collapsing. There's no mechanic on the field, and the ones who have seen the photo have ordered that the plane not be moved -- neither taxiied nor towed -- until this part can be replaced for fear the other side will break.

This failure is in the right side arm of the Y-shaped link and brace assembly, just forward of the retraction actuator attachment. For those not intimately familiar with the Arrow nose gear assembly, I've attached an extract of Figure 19 from the parts catalog. It looks like it's called out as index number 13 (though it really isn't). It's the part that keeps the nosewheel down and locked in position.

I have some vague recollection of reading some other thread here or elsewhere about a similar failure. Does anyone else remember this?

Attachments

• NoseGearAssy.pdf
    53.3 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts

Back