• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Nose trim - is this how it's supposed to work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I rotate my "nose trim" knob clockwise (towards "R"), I feel the airplane rolling to the left. When I turn the knob counterclockwise towards "L," the airplane rolls to the right. Turning the knob does not result in a change in yaw which is what I believe should be happening unless I am wrong. My questions are:
1) should I feel a change in roll or rather a change in yaw when I turn the nose trim knob? I am pretty sure it ought to be the latter but am asking for verification
2) if it sounds like it is not working as intended, is it even possible that this knob got connected to the wrong flight control at some point in the left in the aircraft? It got repainted by previous owner a few years ago

I am only noticing this now because although the airplane has always flown straight, by exclusion I had run out excuses for it being 10 knots too slow especially for the fuel burn, so I tried using the knob to center the ball instead of using light pressure on the rudder pedals every once in a while. This is when I noticed a roll moment instead of yaw associated with turning the nose trim knob.

Latest posts

Back