• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Nose Gear Strut Replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My nose gear strut went completely flat last week while at KFMY. I had the on field shop look at it and repair - which they did. I received a call from them during the repair saying that they were having trouble getting the strut to now distend to a normal position. It was stuck fully extended. They said they would look at it 'tomorrow' which they did and were able to 'repair' it. On takeoff to return home I felt like a did a double take off - liftoff, return to runway and takeoff again. I felt like an idiot for doing that, but it happens... When I landed back home (3.5 hours later) the strut was fully extended again and not returning to normal position. In hind sight, I think the double take off was actually the nose gear extending to the runway after ground contact was lost...

So now my AP has taken over the project and has discovered that the strut is chewing itself apart from the inside as evidenced by metal/chrome shavings found in the strut (see photo). It will not collapse because it is digging in to itself and binding. They are looking for replacement struts - they have their resources but I am looking for plans B, C and D if they cannot find them. Does anyone know of resources for PA28-236 nose gear struts?

IMG_20210325_113105.jpg

Latest posts

Back