• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Normally aspirated Aztec ceiling and climb rate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff K

Reaction score
I've only noticed this a few times, and of course on hot days when I'm trying to clear cloud tops.

"I wish I can, I wish I can" with regards to climb performance.

Last year leaving Oshkosh, near 90F departing, 3 soles on board, 2 being big ones, full fuel and lots of camping gear. Maybe 400lbs under gross. We struggled to clear some cloud tops at 11K (but did).

Last week, departing Tennessee, 93F on the ground, 5 passengers, one big one, lots of luggage, full fuel again, ~200lbs under gross. Struggled to get to 8000 feet.*

By struggle I mean climb rates dropping to 300ft/min or less. .

The book seems to indicate 19K ceiling. I'd expect a bit better then what I observed and wondering what others are seeing. I've not noticed any real issues with the aircraft when it comes to performance and hitting book numbers on cruise and takeoff run... both a little off, but not more then 10% and this is a 50 year old airplane.

The two caveats of course are a hot day and that I don't see an actual weighing in my logbook at all for the W&B, just calculations as things added and taken away by the A&P's. I'll see about doing the later ASAP although I can't see it being off more then 100lbs.

*P.S. I just recalled I was already set at 6000 clear of tops leaned out so I may not have dialed in full rich/full RPM here so ignore the 8000' one. But the 11K was a straight climb out at WOT/Full RPM. And I did lean back a little as I climbed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back