• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

No 3 green

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Flying back from Charleston SC to VA with the entire family. Put the gear down and didn't feel the Thud Thud Thud that I usually do. It was a bit bumpy and very sunny. Didn't see the lights go on. Thought "that can't be right." Maybe sun glare? Tried the light dimmers, checked the fuses. Turn a bit to avoid direct sunlight on the lights. Nothing. Over the field, I put the switch up and there is no color change so now I know this is a real event. Cycle down again and nothing. Depress the emergency gear release and I hear Thud Thud and the 2 mains go down but not the nose wheel. Now my wife is catching on that something isn't right. I start bucking the plane and she starts going ape**** and my youngest daughter says"now this is fun flying!" Cycle them back up and try the emergency gear extension again and luckily 3 green Thud Thud Thud.

Landed without event. Called my A+P and will start digging. I've had the gear not retract up but never had them stuck in the up position. I was proud of myself for not getting nervous. I was actually almost amused to try the emergency gear extension maneuver. Now if none of that worked it would have been a little hairy trying to explain a purposeful gear up landing to the family.

Just when I got her to not totally hate flying this happens. She did a good job of holding her S*** together because she doesn't want to get me nervous so I'm proud of her for that. Whole thing probably took less than 2 minutes to get all 3 down. Driving home I told her that landing without putting down the gear happens all the time and that most of the time pilots just forget to drop them. She couldn't imaging that someone would forget to put them down. I just laughed.

Will keep everyone posted on what my A+P finds.

Latest posts

Back