• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Night Flight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sourdough44

Reaction score
I thought I would do it by the book & went for a night flight last night. I took off while it was still pink & flew to the required 1 hour after sunset for the landings. 1st I checked my lighting in a darkened hanger, I still brought plenty of flashlight options. The interior panel lights were adequate, & the dim-able overhead light(red) picked up any slack on the panel that was needed.

It was nice & smooth and very clear. I flew a little higher than usual & with just me in the plane I felt like a rocket, cool out too. My 1st landing was at a tower controlled airport, with & without the VASI operating, (7000 ft runway). Then is was back to my home drome, shorter but also a VASI.

My Warrior has the wingtip landing lights & once down near the runway the visual is nice & bright. I suppose I could of done a landing with the landing light off, maybe next time. It was a very fun flight. I did do a little more preflight prep than I may do for the average day VFR flight, mostly just having my pubs layed out & looking over airport info ahead of time. I also made sure I could easily dim the 696.

If the weather cooperates I may have a central MO trip in early Nov & I wanted to keep my options open. I used to fly my previous C-140 often at night, but haven't done any light A/C night flying for many years.

Latest posts

Back