• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Newbie main strut advice..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcg9381

Reaction score
So I'm XC about 1100 miles north of home. We've got a 68 pa-28-181 that has done pretty well despite some ridiculous density atitudes due to high temps.

We're headed back to TX tomorrow and I've noticed that our left strut has dropped a few inches and requires right rudder until about 30 knots. Getting under it and applying about 30 lbs of up force on the spar and it pops up. I feel fluid, so I think we've had some pressure loss maybe and perhaps pressure decrease due to cooler temps..

The equity partner in the plane says that it happens and he can adjust it when I get it back.

questions:

1 2nd opinions on flying it back this way?
2 I understand that nitrogen is preferred, but air works in a pinch.. Where is the fill valve?
3 compressor air pressure may not be enough, can I use a c02 powered inflator tool?

Latest posts

Back