• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

New starter or just cold?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartmc

Reaction score
Back in March my starter spun but didn't engage once, i let it spin down then tried again and it worked. Got back to my A&P he lubed the bendix and no problems until yesterday. It was a warm and fuzzy 11degF but my A&P said he didn't think it got below 40 in the hangar. we are headed for -4F this week. When I got the plane pulled out of the hangar the starter wouldn't engage, battery seemed a little weak so I tried jump starting it, nothing. So I pulled it back in the hangar and took a space header and propped it up against the starter and went and had lunch, when I returned, it fired right up. No. 1 lesson is preheat, my A&P told me to call him an hour before I head to the hangar and he'd preheat it for me. But, I'm just wondering is a new starter on the horizon or is it normal for a starter to not engage in cold weather?

Latest posts

Back