• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

New Saratoga owner (w q's)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkvet

Reaction score
That would be me! It all happened kind of fast and right now I need someone to pinch me. As a current 180D driver I knew the 4 seats weren't gonna cut it for me forever (3 kids at home). I had decided that my budget was most likely going to allow for an early model pa-32 260 or 300 depending on condition. I was really thinking 75k as a target for acquisition cost. Anyway, last Wednesday I pulled up barnstormers and there was a brand new add for an 80 Saratoga that had an absolute perfect laundry list of my "dreamer wish list". Club seating, nice paint and interior, GNS530, nice ap (century 41), two fuel tanks, fixed gear, etc. I called to inquire about price and was shocked at what they expected to get from it. It was a quick sale. Owner had passed away a couple months ago. It also happened to be sitting about 45 minutes away (via 180 speed). I made my offer on Thursday. On Sunday I was able to make the trip and provide my deposit check:)

The only negative (if you call it that) is a high time engine. 1990 smoh done in 1997. AFTT is 5500. Last years annuals show compressions of 71, 72, 68, 68, 72, 72. Cylinders have about 1500 since new. It due for annual right now and that is starting today as part of the purchase. Other than the pat year the plane has always flown regularly with no significant down time. The engine is clean (but hasn't been "cleaned" recently). We did a really extended higher rpm ground runup and it was very smooth. We didn't have the insurance policy in hand so were reluctant to fly it yesterday. That is being looked for today.

The thing I love about this purchase is I know what I'm getting for an engine. I didn't pay a dime for the engine and am totally prepared for an OH when needed, but I also don't believe the 2000 tbo mark is some hard point where it decides to fall apart either. Looking back at the airplanes previous average mission it looks like this was used a lot for longer x countries.

Now onto some questions. There may be a couple things I want done to the plane immediately even though post annual it should be ready to fly. The gns530 is non waas and I had already thought about the upgrade to waas being a good plan. During the thorough check yesterday we noted that the microphone out did not work for the 530. We could hear incoming transmissions fine but nothing going out. Tested on both ptt yokes. The #2 radio worked fine for audio both ways. With the finding I think it makes sending the box to garmin for the upgrade almost a no brainer. Any idea on a ballpark figure to have that upgrade performed or are there other reasonable options I should consider?

The other thing I've been thinking about is an engine monitor. I don't know if installing one on a high time engine is a poor economical decision (wasting labor $ for a short term install?) or if the added safety that a monitor could add would make it worth it? How much of the install is on each side of the firewall? My personal thoughts are that a monitor would increase safety and efficiency and potentially help me know better when it's time to do the MOH.

Also, I'm currently working on my IFR (just starting) and am keeping that in mind with the decisions. The 530 upgrade seems to be a no brainer but beyond that idk. I also need to determine what kind of coupling (it does have this) my century 41 has to the 530. I have read about gpss and how nice it is but have no idea of the cost and heck it might already have it anyway. Not sure how to tell.

So on one hand just wanting to share the news and on the other looking for some suggestions. I don't want to go overboard with upgrades on day one (I intend to remain happily married) but don't mind spending a little money to get some things in order. I was thinking 10k as a budget for those thoughts. That might just cover the 530 repair upgrade? I am hoping that's more like $5k or a little less and that leaves room for a nice engine monitor. I live in rural central US and our costs generally are on the lower end relative to aviation dollars.

Pics to follow.

Latest posts

Back