• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

New paint or new interior?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck

David Megginson
Reaction score
If my 1979 PA-28-161 passes its eddy-current test later this year, I have a bit of money saved up to give it new paint or a new interior, but probably not both.
  • The plane has spent most or all of its life tied-down outside, with a canopy cover to keep the sun off the interior.
  • The exterior was last repainted in the mid 1990s. The paint is getting thin, but it still looks (mostly) acceptable from normal viewing distance (> 10m away).
  • Except for new panel plastics about 4 years ago, the interior is entirely original from 1979, and it looks its age. The carpets are worn, the plastics are cracked, etc. etc. Fortunately, the seats are intact (no tears or springs sticking out), but that's about the best I can say for it.
My spouse says to do the interior first, because that's where I spend most of my time (I'm not looking at the plane from the outside when I'm flying). What do the rest of you think? (Especially @Orest @ CYFD and @Warrior 151 , who have both seen the exterior in person, but were too polite to say anything about it :) ).

Thanks, David

Latest posts

Back