• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

New notam regarding special security procedures published today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coopere

Reaction score
Is someone on the board able to tell me what this exactly means as a Canadian private pilot? For example #1 if I want to fly an overflight from St. John New Brunswick to Cornwall Ontario

Example #2 a flight from Hamilton Ontario to say ft Lauderdale Florida

https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/PilotW...eveLocId=ZZZ&actionType=notamRetrievalByICAOs

My understanding previous to this notam was the following

For example #1

For overflight of the USA but not landing in the USA was that I have to file an icao flight plan, request or be assigned a discrete transponder code on takeoff, contact USA atc or center or the controlling area controllers PRIOR to crossing the Canada USA boarder, then the USA controllers assign me a new discrete transponder code, I have to be radar identified with the new code and in contact with the USA controllers PRIOR to crossing the Canada USA boarder, then I can complete the over flight then when crossing back into Canada tell the controller I'm back in Canada and contact the Canadian controllers again

I did this last September no issues

For example 2

File icao flight plan, call USA customs at the airport of entry, tell them when I'm due for arrival +10min -5min rule, file eapis get the confirmation number then fly to the airport of entry clear customs and then take off and fly to the USA destination

But now after this notam that was issued the only thing I can see is now I have to apply for some waiver to operate in USA airspace... How is this going to work in a place like Sarnia? Technically the aircraft is located over Canadian soil, but the USA controls the airspace above the ground above I think 4000agl...

So what is the story do I have to apply for a waiver?

Latest posts

Back