• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

New Member NJ

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello. I am a new member in the market for their first airplane. I am a student just finishing up PPL in Cessnas but always liked the look of the low wing aircraft. After doing some research an older PA-28 seems to fit my needs quite well. I would be flying 1-3 people on trips for fun and building time. I have been waiting months now for my flying club to have available aircraft to take my check ride with but there has been a maintenance nightmare this fall and winter. This prompted my better half to get on board with making a purchase so here I am attempting to learn. As a student, I had several breaks in my training losing two instructors to moves and airlines. Most training was in newer 172SPs initially and later in cost effective C152s totaling around 90hrs as life got in the way a few times.

With all of that out of the way I did have some questions for the group that hopefully could get answered.
1. I saw a nice 140 I liked but a fellow pilot told me it would be too small/slow. Is that true or false? Again I fly a 152 now.
2. Is it better to find a nice 180hp aircraft that I can grow with instead of a 140? My teenager wants to learn someday so I would like a beginner friendly aircraft.
3. I have had trouble finding trustworthy people in my area to for inspections. I live by KMJX at the NJ shore and would be looking to hire someone for a pre-buy.
4. Is it better to make a purchase individually or via a broker?
5. Do I need to look for anything specific on these airplanes?

I appreciate the help and I am happy to be a part of the forum. I learned a long time ago to find a forum whenever endeavoring to make a new purchase or start a new activity specific to that. I get the best advice that way. I am an AOPA member and have been reading everything I can find.

Latest posts

Back