• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

New member, aspiring owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well here's my intro and alas, I don't have any pictures of shiny aircraft to introduce. Trust me, I wish I did!

I've just gotten back into GA after about 12 or 13 years hiatus. I got my PPL back in 2001 while in university in Manitoba, then moved out west to Alberta to start work. Work really gets in the way! Not only the lack of time while building a career, but the lack of money. Then when I had the money I didn't have any need. Fast forward a bit and I'm getting married, have 2 children already, and both my fiance and I have most of our family in Manitoba so we do a lot of 1300km drives for holidays and such. I used to love those drives even in the winter through the blizzards when it was just the dog and I, but now with two kids and the wife and the dog it's a pretty stressful task in the winter especially (and even the 650 pee stops in the summer).

So here we are, and I've decided it's time to get back in GA and find a good family station wagon for our commuting purposes. The wife asks, 'what about airlines?' and unfortunately when the holidays hit, or spring break, or whenever you have time off, that's when the prices go from $300 round trip to $800, and we're in the territory where I can start to justify flying us there myself.

I'm still a fairly low time pilot, ~200hrs, with most of my training in C172 and Cherokee 140s and 151s. I did a good chunk of my PIC time in an NA Arrow IV though so comfortable with constant speed prop and retracts. So the reason I'm here now, is to do more research, see what the best fit options are going to be for my missions, and tailor probably the next 1-3 years of flight training to hit proficiency requirements for an insurance company, and to make sure I can safely ferry my family across the prairies.

I do really like the Pipers, which is why I'm here. I've been looking at 6/300, Lance, or if I decide ME is the way to go, Seneca or Aztec. Have already started reading a lot of threads and getting a lot of good information for an aspiring owner / first time owner, so this forum has been great and I've only scratched the surface! Look forward to keep reading!

Scott

Latest posts

Back