• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

New Guy - A Few Questions About Buying/Training

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenjr

Reaction score
Oh man...I just typed out this long and thoughtful post...hit submit and the site told me that I needed to log in? (um, I'm posting...I'm already logged in) and I lost the whole dang thing! Not a good start...

So, let's give this another shot... :D

I'm looking to start my PPL soon - contacted my local training facility and have some time on the books with their chief pilot next week to talk through the training, ground school, and a few of the questions I'll ask here.

I actually started my PPL when in 1991 when I was 19 and stationed at NAS Memphis doing some avionics training. (I was an Avionics Tech and an Aircrewman/Loadmaster on Grumman C-2's in the Navy from 89-93). I started my PPL at a flying club on the field and got about 25 hours in to it. I got transferred out to NAS Miramar north of San Diego and there was no flying club there...well, unless you were a F-14 driver. :D The closest airport was too far for me with no car and such and I was way to busy...and then went to the Persian Gulf...needless to say I didn't get around to it. No matter, somewhere along the way I lost my logbook so I am starting over regardless.

I've been lurking on here for a few weeks and finally decided to sign-up and post one of my own. My main question is: How many of you bought a plane WHILE you were working through your PPL? My plan is to not take too long - hopefully less than 6 months but I want to be able to fly as much as possible - especially when I get checked out to solo.

I've read a bunch on cost of ownership vs renting, etc... and I'm pretty confident that I'll do enough flying (200-300 hours a year) to justify owning. My training facility doesn't have anything under $120/hr wet and I can do better than that with the hours I'll fly in a PA-28 180.

I have about $40k cash I can spend on a plane - there are some good options on the PA-28 180 in that range. I'm guessing based on what I've read for a guy like me; insurance is going to run $800-900/yr for a $40k aircraft and very low PIC hours, it's going to run me about $350 a month to hangar it where my flight training is (would look for other options after that), fuel would run me $100-150 a month and if you add up the annual and plan for other misc expenses I'm guessing it's going to run me somewhere in the $700-$1k a month range.

From what I've read most folks shy away from what I can afford (late 60's to early 70's models) with super low TT hours or very low hours after a complete overhaul if the logbook shows it's been sitting for obvious reasons. So, I'd like to find something that's got reasonable time on it but one that still gives me a few years flying 200-300 hours a year before having to drop the big bucks (and I'm guessing around $15-20k on a complete overhaul) on service.

So, just curious from those folks that may have been through this before - what are your thoughts or your experience here. I'd love to have my own plane during training so that I can learn and get super comfortable in what I'm going to be flying. I also like the freedom of ownership and being able to fly whenever I can - I have a crazy work schedule as I travel a bunch but get to work from home - so I can be flexible but want to fly when I want to fly and not have to go through the rigamorale of scheduling, etc... I also want to be able to stay the night and not have to deal with the renting issues associated with that.

I wouldn't be opposed to sharing ownership with someone if the opportunity would arise at a later point. Obviously the plane would get flown more so the service would be heavier but I think overall it would be a better deal splitting...even with putting more time on the aircraft.

Also curious if there's anyone in Texas (Austin specifically) that knows about any flight clubs or where to find people that are looking for co-ownership opportunities, etc... I guess once I'm more indoctrinated into the 'community' I'll get more of that...but look forward to your insights here.

Thanks so much in advance! Look forward to being a contributing member to this community.

Latest posts

Back