• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

New arrow owner swinging gear for first time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tawood

Reaction score
Hello all,
I’ve had my arrow for about a year now, and recently I started to develop the dreaded problem of the “gear in transit light“ issue. On just about every trip at some point, the gear in transit light would come on. No amount of maneuvers could make it turned back off. The only way it would turn off would be if I lowered the gear and raised it again. I did notice that the gear pump would not turn on when that light would turn on, only the light.
So recently I took my plane in to the mechanic who said he adjusted all the micro switches. We took a short trip cross-country, and although I didn’t get a gear in transit light, I immediately noticed that my air speed was down quite substantially, maybe almost 8 kn. I called my mechanic and asked that he check again that the gear doors were closing all the way. He checked and said they absolutely were.
I flew again and my speed was still down. I decided since I own a retractable, I should probably buy some jacks anyway and I did. Below are pictures of the gear all the way up. Is this normal? To me it looks like there’s a substantial gap, especially in the front gear doors. By the way, I did not include a picture of the copilot side because it seems to close up tight.

Attachments

• 41DC4EB0-02D7-4A85-8D1C-3BDE4B105CA0.jpeg
    41DC4EB0-02D7-4A85-8D1C-3BDE4B105CA0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 60C70CF0-677D-4C16-AA1D-EF4E040E6FC8.jpeg
    60C70CF0-677D-4C16-AA1D-EF4E040E6FC8.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back