• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

New Archer II Owner - Spending To Much Time on This Forum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've recently purchased a 76 Archer II and took it up for the first time over the weekend. Plane has 5300 TTAF and 550 on Lycoming remanufactured engine. Previous owner has had it for about 35 years and is just not flying as much as he used to for business, we also know them personally. I couldn't pass it up for the price being presented, $32, 500. I am still working on my ticket with about 18 hours in a 172. Ready to solo but I was waiting for this plane to do it in instead of a rented Cessna. First trip around the patch was definitely different and climbed like a banshee with the cool air and bigger engine. After about the third landing things were really coming together. These things do not have much of a glide when setting up on final but float like an angel in ground effect settling in nicely.

My questions are there is a good shimmy during landing on the nose wheel. This was not noticed on the take off roll and that leads me to another question. The trim cable was recently changed. Before take off I set the trim at what I thought was the neutral position, trim indicator in the middle. The plane really wanted to jump off the ground before I had good speed built up and I really had to hold it on the ground. Same on climb out, the plane really wanted to stay nose up. Once in the pattern I adjusted trim to nose down extensively and then on landing I noticed the bad nose wheel shimmy. Full rear aileron alleviated it. My questions are mainly for the trim adjustment since I did not see many search hits coming up with that answer. How do you adjust the cable so the trim indicator is in the trim neutral position? The nose shimmy I figured I would check front tire wear and balance, bushings, then working my way back to the steering dampener. Thanks in advance for the input and am loving this site and plane!

Latest posts

Back