• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Need help starting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor05121

Mooney Apostate
Reaction score
Okay guys. I have an electrical problem somewhere that is preventing me from starting the aircraft. It hasnt run in months and im afraid if I let it sit any longer its going to deteriorate even more.

Battery fully charged, and jumper cables connected to a 950cca battery off a pickup truck, the gyros spin up as usual. When engaging the starter, the prop turns 1/4 turn, stops, gyos spin down. Release the starter, gyros spin back up, prop swings back to start point. Doing this 4-5 times I can get the prop through one cycle.

Now I need some of you braniacs for help to chase down whats causing the loss to the starter. The cables to the batter are frayed, but since I'm using the jumper thats problem is voided for now. Going under the cowl, the electrical lines on the pilots side appear okay. From that little bus on the firewall to the starter they appear okay. The starter is caked in grease and whatnot, but pulling the rubber boot off the connector, the bolt appears corrosion-free. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Back