• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

My Observations After Check-Out/ 75 Archer vs 70's Skyhawk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoke

Reaction score
In full disclosure, majority of my time (460'ish) is in the Skyhawk and Skylane with 60 or so in a Mooney M20C and 20 or so in a Citabria. Today I checked out in a 1975 Piper Archer at M02 in Dickson TN. First of all, kudo's to the CFI who checked me out. He just wasn't along for the ride but challenged me in various aspects of flight. The aircraft I found to be in quality shape. Interior and panel were in excellent shape complete with Garmin 650, auto pilot and equipped with ABS in/out.

I found the flying characteristics were more favorable than that of the 1973 180/hp Skyhawk I also rent. The Archer was just more stable than the high wing Cessna in all aspects. Slow flight, stalls, steep turns were all more stable than when I perform them in the C-172. Stalls were a non-event. Depending on how far you take the stall in a Cessna, in a complete stall, the plane wanted to break left so needed right rudder to keep the left wing up. The Archer I found just 'mushed' straight and level and with power applied, climbed right out of stall with 1-notch of flaps. I found I really liked the manual flaps and how the plane stabilized at my 80 mph approach speed. But what really stood out for me was how stable the plane was in the flare. Can't beat a low wing in the flare as it uses ground effect to stabilize vs the high wing Cessna.

And IMO, the ramp appeal of the Archer can't be beat compared to the 172.

Even better was meeting some of the regulars at the field. Reminds me of my teen years flying with Dad out of South Huntsville Field.

When I get serious about purchase, the Piper will be at top of the list. Well, unless I can afford the Mooney M20C :)

Edit- Only CON was at VY, visibility over the nose is limited. We climbed out at 1000 fpm, VY, with tanks at the tabs.

-MF

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back