• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

My apache restoration is coming along nicely

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heygeronimo

Reaction score
As many of you know I bought an Apache last november. She ended up needing a lot to get it current. I ended up doing the following so far.

Right wing tank cork gaskets
fuel caps
All hydraulic hoses for the gear.
Rebuilt all three struts
new bushings for all torque links
new brake pads
new tires
one new cylinder due to corrosion of exhaust port being beyond repair
New exhaust stack
left generator regulator
Tempest spark plugs all the way around
New mags all the way around (last serviced in 1992 yikes)
new carbs
one new fuel pump
new rocker cover gaskets all the way around along with white powdercoated rocker covers
replaced o rings in left engine primer
every instrument in the panel replaced with new
aztec ram horn yokes
New garmin radios and transponder
Geronimo wing tips and flap gap seals
all seats reupholstered in leather.
The tail has been entirely removed and am replacing all the castings with forgings to eliminate the tail area inspection AD. also overhauled the bell-crank for the elevator and replaced any bushing we could find in the tail.
Replaced the two large springs and cable for the elevator.
All new hardware in the tail.
LED landing and taxi lights.
Installed JPI dual fuel flow instrument.

Remaining on my list of things to tend to...
Overhaul both prop governors. They have not been touched since 1966
New carpet kit... Any good sources? I want something that is super nice feel.
Geronimo speed slope wind shield.

I am very close to going through this thing entirely and making sure it has all the love it needs. I hope that it will then be reliable and enjoyable. Safe as well.

Latest posts

Back