• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

My 235 experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markstevenwiley

Arkiepiper
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByPiper Forum1388034950.161587.jpgImageUploadedByPiper Forum1388034965.531971.jpgImageUploadedByPiper Forum1388034979.861656.jpg

I posted this earlier to a purchase question on buying a 235, but thought I would share generally how I came about my first and probably only plane.

1. Find good knowledgable to your specific type 235 mechanic. He will pay off in spades.
My son, an instructor, liked low wing Arrows he flew, so we found this 235 locally.

2. Know what needs you are satisfying, and what conditions you can fly, now and future. I bought basic 235 for PPL, flying 2 hours to elderly parents regularly, and then added on to it for instrument ticket. Basic for plane (1st pic taken March 2012) i paid 45000 which bought a Garmin stack 430W, transponder, com/panel, CDI, and King 155 backup. Cht/egt was already in it. Garmin 496 was in it, because of XM package, but with IPAD Foreflight and a Stratus ADSB unit, 496 is primarily GPS backup and XM music/ballgames. STCd for mogas. Prior owner lost medical. Interior good, paint job was old and in need.

3. As is buying is subject to honest conditions of each item asked about. Even then, first year, we flew the plane way more hours so, replaced A.H. Overhauled carburetor, resealed oleos, and an alternator mount. But with that, got PPL. 2nd year spent 11000 on quality complete strip and Dupont Jetglow paint about 11000, resealed mains, put in STec 30 with GPSS, JPI fuel flow analyzer, for about 20000. Had to build out a new panel and reset correct 6 pack, as old panels in these early models usually arent built out right. Added new glareshield. Another 1500.

So, total 77000 for an instrument very capable restored and modernized platform that this 57 year olsd will pass on to son.

Oh yes, I built out Steelmaster hangar kit and doors from Cool-Air. 550 gallon tank holds direct from jobber 91octane E0 fuel, water block filter. The 46 Cessna is owned by the EAA chapter president and friend, we share fuel. The strip is also an EAA chapter member I met, and I am getting instument instruction from another EAA chapter member. EAA has been a great network group. Mogas savings pays lease on land and then some. My plane runs clean plugs, and doesnt spew poison on kids most of the time. :)

Fuel:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByPiper Forum1388034918.541719.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPiper Forum1388034918.541719.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 239

Latest posts

Back