• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Mold problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My plane is normally hangared, so I don't usually have to worry too much about the elements affecting my plane, but I used it for Thanksgiving travel, and it got rained on pretty heavily while away from home. I neglected to bring my cover with me, so it was completely exposed...and apparently, there are more leaks than I recall from the past (or maybe the cover helped even more than I thought). The interior got pretty wet, but I didn't think it was so bad that it wouldn't dry out and be okay once I got it back in the hangar.

Unfortunately, I went back out there yesterday and nearly got knocked out by the stank when I opened the door. The luggage straps have some visible mold growing on them, so it's probably over everything else in the interior, too.

Maybe if I'd left the doors open it _would_ have dried out, but that's a lesson learned for the future. (And also, maybe not...I live in a very high-humidity environment.) Regardless, now I've got to deal with the present.

To dry it out, I waffled between leaving the doors open and doing nothing else, vs. trying some sort of active dehumidification. For better or worse I chose the latter approach (reference earlier "high humidity" comment). I took out the easily-removable bits of carpet to dry outside the plane, and then set up two 60W incandescent bulbs, a fan, and three containers of DampRid (or the Arm&Hammer equivalent, anyway), and closed it all back up. I'll get back out there in a day or two and see if I'm making any progress.

Any suggestions for other things to do, either now or after things dry out?

Latest posts

Back