• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Modifying an STC part? 337 Approval?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobilepolice

Reaction score
In the midst of a disagreement with my mechanic about the placement of a supplementary oil temperature probe.

I would like to modify my ADC Systems remote oil filter by taking one of the blocked off -12 AN ports and either replacing it with a -12AN male to 1/8NPT female bushing (if available) or drilling and tapping the existing AN plug.

He would prefer we remove the oil cooler from the engine, install a *45 5/8NPT Elbow, 5/8NPT Tee, 5/8NPT to 1/8NPT bushing and locate the existing stock sensor (which I must keep) and the new sensor in this "assembly".

I think my solution is simpler, but he raises questions about weather or not it will past muster in a 337 field approval.

Is anyone familiar with the regulations in this regard? I will try calling the FSDO in the morning and asking the same question, but they're pretty notorious on not agreeing with whatever kansas decides.

What's the possibility of getting a 337 approval on replacing a plug in a previously STC'd product?

Here's some photos...

This is an Oberg 600 "Tattle-Tale" oil screen. There's two ports that are blocked off on this install, the one on the right (pictured) which is a -12AN Plug fitting, and the one on the top (out of picture) that's also the same style.

Manufacturers page: http://store.obergfilters.com/6inch.html

ADC is long out of business, and I don't know who currently owns the STC.
155.jpg

Here was his initial drawing. My primary concern was the entrapment of air in the Tee, which he said was not an issue because the oil scavenges the air out of the Tee.
157.jpg

Upon closer inspection to the existing sensor, it appears the oil cooler and significant baffling will have to come off the engine in order to separate the stock sensor from it's housing, the engine block is in the way, precluding the use of a simple Tee as he had drawn.
160.jpg

Latest posts

Back