• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Modern Marvels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Dartford

Reaction score
I posted a report regarding "Plastic" props and the experience with them during test flights of the RANS S21 that my son is buying.
Further flight testing revealed another problem that needs to be fixed. The Rotax 915 in his plane is a turbocharged engine rated at 141 HP. The sophisticated fuel injection system uses the temperature of the intake air as a control input. Apparently the sensor got located too close to something hot, and is giving bad data and generating an alarm. All these fancy devices cause most of the problems that I see in cars, and planes.

He chose the Rotax engine over a Titan 340 engine which is normally asperated. The 180 HP Titan slightly shortens the takeoff run, but the Rotax weighs less and runs on auto gas which is why my son chose it. However flight testing reveals another benefit. Two RANS S21 planes were flown side by side, one with the Titan engine and the other with the Rotax.
"At 8500' we leveled off and found the planes well matched and then climbed to 9500' we again leveled off and found the 915 was showing a 2 MPH increase in cruise over the 340. This was great since N413MN is equipped with the 26" airstreaks and N615RD has the 22" Dessers.

Latest posts

Back