• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Microswitch actuators and motor shear pins.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobilepolice

Reaction score
So I landed and on taxi in Winchester (BGF) today I kicked on the air conditioner. A/C evaporator door motor opened as usual. When I shut down I turned the A/C off and let the door close before powering down completely.

On taxi out after fueling up, I noted my A/C door light was on, but the door was closed. I fiddled with the switch to no avail (and no movement of the door motor from the closed position)

on takeoff, the door pops open rapidly from the full closed to the full open position. I couldn't get it closed again so ended up flying home with it all the way open (and the A/C off, because there was a problem y'see).

On the ground back home we discovered that the metal actuator strip for the "door is closed" microswitch had broken off and this caused the door motor to run even after the door was closed, shearing the brass pin in the door motor/armature adapter right off.

Glad they put a shear pin in, now I'm on the hunt for parts:
The actuator is Piper 451-848. This is a Honeywell JE-6 or JE-73 metal acuator (my part is stamped JE-73, the parts manual calls for JE-6, both spec sheets are identical)

The shear pin is a "torque tube" Piper 86092-96.

I'm trying to figure out who would give me the best price for the JE6/JE73 -- best online I have found is about $12.. for 5 cents in stamped steel. I'm going to call around to local shops Monday and try to get a better price. Does anyone have any particular shop they like to order these sorts of parts from, or is it just wherever?

The 86092-96 looks completely un-sourcable. The original part looks brass, but I have absolutely no specs for it. It measures out at 0.5" L by .125" Dia (1/2x1/8)

Is cutting brass to size for a shear pin like that absolutely crazy talk? I couldn't find a part number on what I have left, so it may be that's what someone has done before me.

This has been a rough week in plane ownership. Having to order parts practically every week. I did main tires on Tuesday, and then I did o-rings for all of my fuel strainers on Satuday because a leak that developed on Tuesday/Wednesday made me lose 20 gallons of fuel to the atmosphere. Now I have a dumb little break with a microswitch part that inexplicably costs $12 to fix. I was first in there going "well it'd just be good to replace all of these actuators while I'm in here" only to look some of them up and find prices between $12 and $40. FOR METAL STRIPS. Not even the switches themselves. At those prices, I'll just keep brass on hand and replace parts and shear pins as necessary.

Sorry, venting a bit.

Latest posts

Back