• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Metal in Filter....what to think...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coopere

Reaction score
Well guess its my time...

Annual Time

Today we found some metal in the oil filter of the right engine, pulled the screen to investigate and nothing in the screen. Compressions all came out 74/80 or above

it runs well, seems to develop power and no obvious issues Oil temps and pressures are good

Now this engine is 1100hrs smoh, however it has had some new cylinders over its life time, the newest ones were installed 2 years ago and have 98 hours on them. at that time the cam was inspected and was good

cyl 1 - 1100tt
cyl 2 - 98tt
cyl 3 - 221tt
cyl 4 - 1100tt
cyl 5 - 98tt
cyl 6 - 1100tt

at the last annual it was switched from mineral oil to 100w Plus,

This engine also still has 3 chrome lycoming cylinders on it the rest have been replaced with standard lycoming cylinders, cyl 1,4,6 are chrome

Wondering if the metal could still be from break-in ?

thoughts? my shop is an engine shop as well and has recommended following lycoming service bulletin,

change the oil and filter and fly 25hrs then re evaluate...

I trust my shop, just wondering about if its likely it could still be from the new cylinders breaking in....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back