• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Mechanic rant (lite version)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tawood

Reaction score
In my 30 or so years of flying, I have had some really good mechanics (and a couple of bad ones). Obviously I avoid the bad ones, keep the good ones, and with the good ones typically develop great long-term owner/mechanic relationships.

But, my (slight) rant: I have yet to get a mechanic that can correctly compute a W&B. I don't think I have ever once found a W&B computed correctly after a change...at least not the first time the W&B is done.

I recently had the tail beacon removed from my plane. My new-to-me mechanic (who has been great otherwise, btw) computed a new W&B, emailed it to me, and even at first glance, I new something wasn't right. The new W&B moved the CG to the rear, right after removing 2 lbs from the tail. I checked the W&B, and found 6 (!!!) mistakes made by my mechanic. Yikes! I tried to be nice, but I felt like a school teacher with red marker, correcting the W&B. I just computed it correctly for him and emailed it back.

Back in my public service days, I used to joke that "I became a cop because I couldn't do math", but actually math has always been a strength for me...I think the saying should probably be, "I became an A&P because I couldn't do math", LOL.

Latest posts

Back