• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Managing four fuel tanks in a PA32-300

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying_Monkey

Reaction score
Soon I will be transitioning to a PA32-300 with four fuel tanks. 25 mains and 17 tips for a total of 84. I have read all about filling tips first and using mains first.(including the accident thread about Jeff Ks experience). Everyone says to use mains for takeoff and landing. But if I’m burning mains first wouldn’t I be on the tip tanks by landing time?

I’m looking for real world advice in how you manage actually doing this if you are trying to NOT fill all tanks all the time. The instructions to fill tips first and burn mains first from the POH make it sounds like leaving the tips empty and just using the mains is a no-no. So, as an example, what if I only want to fill 48-50 gallons for a trip because I’m carrying a lot of cargo or I just don’t want to be flying around a bunch of extra fuel? Do you Always fill mains to tabs and takeoff and land with them but use tips once in cruise or 3k AGL? Do the tip tanks have tabs? How do you measure how much fuel you have in them? Are there dipsticks like I had for my 180 (I saw that eBay guy no longer sells them).

If anyone has a usual routine based on experience I’d love some insight!

Latest posts

Back