• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Main landing gear side play?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avidflyer2

Reaction score
Piper PA34-200T Seneca II not subject to AD97-01-01R1 by Serial Number: Para 2(a)(1)(iii) Check for loose bushing (2 each in older bracket).

The referenced AD pertains to the main gear sidebrace stud and attaching bracket at the wing spar for the "downlock" over-center sidebrace. I've found a lot of play between the stud or eyebolt and the truss bracket bushing on several Seneca II Airplanes. I cannot find a specified service limit or allowable clearance for the stud and bushing inside of the truss bracket. I cannot find a total lateral movement allowance for the main gear at the wheel with the gear extended. The inspection checklist in the Service Manual says to check for excessive wear... This vague reference makes it a judgement call for your mechanic on whether there is too much play or slop in the landing gear sideplay.

Lately, I've been finding that several of the sidebrace stud bushings also loose and rotating in the truss bracket. The bracket is an expensive part $2K while the bushing is on the order of $200 apiece. I cannot find a repair scheme for the truss bracket to install an over-size O.D. bushing either. Anyone with additional inspection or repair information from Piper please sound off!

95643-009 Bracket Assembly - Main Gear Truss, right side (5/8" O.D. Stud)
67026-012 Bushing (One-Piece), 1 Each Req
78717-002 Main Gear Sidebrace Stud, 5/8" O.D. , 1 Each Req

Latest posts

Back