• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Main Landing Gear Lower Bolts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jestratton390

Reaction score
Today I removed the 2 middle nuts from the group of 4 lower bolts in order to install a replacement left MLG fairing bracket on my PA-32/300. The previous bracket broke and made the leading edge of my stock MLG fairing unsecured. When torquing the nut onto one bolt, I broke off the bolt head as you can see from the attached pic.
IMG_1078.jpeg

My question to you A&P's - are those bolts attach bolts for the MLG? Here is the applicable entry from the PA-32 Service Manual for MLG strut removal>

6-17. REMOVAL OF MAIN LANDING GEAR. (Refer to Figure 6-7.)
a. Place the airplane on jacks. (Refer to Jacking, Section II.)
b. Place a drip pan under the main gear to catch spillage.
c. If desired, remove the air from the oleo chamber by depressing the air valve core pin found in the
inspection hole on top of the wing. After the pressure in the oleo chamber has diminished, remove
the valve core pin and attach a small hose to the air valve and drain the fluid by slowly compressing
the piston tube. If it is desirable to extract more fluid from the chamber, remove the filler plug,
insert the siphon hose and drain fluid from the upper area of the housing.
d. Remove the fairing from around the cylinder housing and the access plate located on the bottom of
the wing and to the rear of the housing by removing attaching screws.
e. Unhook the hydraulic brake line inside the wing assembly. This is accessible through the access
plate. Cap the line by use of a threaded cap or wrapping with plastic.
f. Remove the top four bolts by holding them with a slotted screwdriver and turning the nut with the
appropriate wrench. Remove the remaining six by use of a wrench. Carefully remove the gear
assembly from the wing.

Figure 6-7 is attached and shows the lower 4 bolts, but neither the above removal procedure nor the following excerpt from the reinstallation procedure specifically references the lower bolts

6-19. INSTALLATION OF MAIN LANDING GEAR. (Refer to Figure 6-7.)
a. The main landing gear assembly may be installed on the wing by the following
procedure:
1. Position the gear up in the wing through the access opening and secure with bolts,
washers and nuts.

Attachments

• PA-32 Service Manual fig 6-7.png
    PA-32 Service Manual fig 6-7.png
    125.5 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back