• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

main gear/struts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyH

Reaction score
I noticed on my "new" 65 180C that the left strut was lower than the 4.5inches suggested by the handbook. So, I learned where to jack the plane, took out the Schrader valve stem, and didn't see any fluid. So, I added 5606, and then pumped it full of air. When I let the jack down, it seemed to hold. Yesterday, went back and rocked the wings a little. The strut went down to about 3 inches and stayed. I have to fly out for an annual Saturday morning. Will this be OK, and what is the best way to repair it?
I've looked on the hangar floor and I don't see any fluid . Yesterday, I let the strut all the way down to the bottom, let the air/nitrogen out, filled it to the bottom of the core with 5606, and removed the schrader valve, and replaced it with a new one, put in new nitrogen, and raised the wing to get some pressure off. Got the strut lifted to the 4.5 inches, and thought great this is it. By the time I got back to the hangar, the strut was about 3 inches up. Do I need to redo the whole process and compress and extend the strut and then fill it with nitrogen.? I only have a small compressor, which doesn't want to raise the wing, and I do drain it each time I use it..
My main concern is safety flying out and landing for my annual.
What kind of valve core does the strut require? I was told I could use a high pressure schrader valve that an AC unit would use in a car. I saw no bubbles coming form it yesterday. Has anyone tried Granville's Aircraft Hydraulic strut sealant?

This is all new to me, so any help would be appreciated.Thanks,

Randy

Latest posts

Back