• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Magneto Harness Routing - Cylinder order

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since the PA28 service manual simply says "Route ignition wires to their respective cylinders" and doesn't have a diagram, I referred to the official Lycoming O-360 Operator's Manual, which contains this diagram:

harness_order.jpg

What I discovered as I removed the existing harness is that the right magneto is routed differently - both of the cyl#1 leads are switched with the cyl#3 leads lower as well as the #2 and #4 upper.
The new Kelly replacement harness (KA12364), which is a direct replacement, is also marked to be wired the way the removed harness is.
It is a vertical mirror-image of the way it is presented in the Lycoming figure.

Since the engine has been running normally for the duration of the 600+ hours that I've been flying it, I installed the new harness as labeled and the old was installed.
But this discrepancy in the Lycoming literature has me confused.
Its not like some waste-spark swap where it doesn't matter - these cylinders are successive in the firing order.
What am I not understanding?
Discuss?

Latest posts

Back