• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Lycoming 0-540 B4B5 - 1965 PA28-235 - LOP vs ROP vs Operating in red arc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Great forum, first post here. Purchased my 235 in August and been doing lots of cross country traveling. I have an ECM to check EGTs, CHTs, fuel flow, etc. I can't get my CHTs on any cylinder over 280deg F. Just flying back from FL to N TX, I was betweek 200-240 CHT on every cylinder. It cools almost too well, only concern being getting the oil temp high enough. I usually run it WOT, 2300 RPM. Engine is 4 years, 450hours since major, and really nice condition. I'm working on saving fuel without much power sacrifice, while cruising at mid-altitudes and avoiding 100deg ROP fuel consumption. Generally use 15gph 5-8k ft and 75-100ROP.

I've read Busch's Engine book. Busch's book doesn't really reference this particular engine much, with lower compression and lower HP than the other big 6 cylinder engines.

Since the O-540 b4b5 is so de-powered with low compression, I wonder if it would be harmful running it at peak to 50deg ROP, in the red arc. Say from 2,000MSL to 5000MSL. This engine doesn't run LOP well. Really just curious if running it at peak EGT in the red arc avoidance zone of the power curve is an issue with this governed down engine. Not sure if I should be super concerned about the precise mixture adjustments with EGTs or just fly 100ROP and use extra fuel.

I am open to running 100 ROP as many recommend and enjoy the extra cooling and lubrication (and speed) from this fuel flow. However, I don't want extra carbon/lead deposits on the exhaust valves causing issues before necessary. I am open to spending more on fuel but want to treat the engine the best I can to avoid any catastrophic hot spots and less importantly, premature cylinder wear. TIA to those with long term experience with how best to run this engine at WOT.

Latest posts

Back