• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Lycom8ng io540 clylinder

Pa32guy

Reaction score
5 good cylinders for overhaul. Each was in mid 70s compression. Due to engine stoppage must be overhauled. 125 each.

BGFYankee

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
I'm gonna ask my MX guys this morning if they are interested in them

sierrakilo99

Reaction score
5 good cylinders for overhaul. Each was in mid 70s compression. Due to engine stoppage must be overhauled. 125 each.
Other than inspection of the piston and rockers, inspection, yes... but I question O/H required. When the rotating parts stop, the piston and the rockers/pushrods stop, can't see that damaging the cylinder unless something hit them from the outside due to impact damage.

sk

Pa32guy

Reaction score
Other than inspection of the piston and rockers, inspection, yes... but I question O/H required. When the rotating parts stop, the piston and the rockers/pushrods stop, can't see that damaging the cylinder unless something hit them from the outside due to impact damage.

sk
Hi, lots on uncertainty on my part. Since the engine threw a rod and one cylinder was damaged and there was metal in the pan. I would never want anyone to install it without an IA knowledge of what is acceptable and not. There is no scaring or galling on the crlinder walls. They look great but that is as far as my knowledge goes. They are off of a factory reman with 1600 hours. Io 540 k

Tod

sierrakilo99

Reaction score
Hi, lots on uncertainty on my part. Since the engine threw a rod and one cylinder was damaged and there was metal in the pan. I would never want anyone to install it without an IA knowledge of what is acceptable and not. There is no scaring or galling on the crlinder walls. They look great but that is as far as my knowledge goes. They are off of a factory reman with 1600 hours. Io 540 k

Tod
Good call... likely have metal embedded in the piston skirts if you had something coming apart. Easy to see even with the 'naked eye'.

sk

Warriorgreg

Reaction score
Very interesting on the broken rod on a factory reman. I have the engine out of my Warrior. Internal parts were sent off, and the shop rejected 1 rod due to a crack. But... the rejected rod had grinding marks that appeared to try to grind out a known crack; from Lycoming.

jpwamt

Reaction score
Wide deck has regular hex nuts at the base. Narrow used circular nuts with plates at the base.

Latest posts