• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Losing oil through breather

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just noticed the other day oil all along the fuselage underneath, enough to drip off the rivets on to the hangar floor. At the same time, I’ve noticed the oil filler cap has become a bit loose. This is a sudden change, not gradually loosening over time.
My engineer things other pilots who fly the plane must have overfilled the oil, or to at least 8qts and the engine has just pushed it out the breather. The oil cap itself, although a bit loose, doesn’t appear to be leaking oil. I don’t have any evidence anyone has overfilled the oil.
What else could be going on? I’ve been recommended to clean the belly and fly it to see if it continues. Just had an oil change and filled to 7qt mark. Engine is TSIO-360-FB.
Many thanks in advance.
Andrew

Latest posts

Back