• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

LOP information for the PA-28-161

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck

David Megginson
Reaction score
Given another discussion on lean-of-peak operations with fuel-injected engines, I just want to repeat that you can also fly LOP on some carbureted 4-bangers: it just depends on how consistent the distance is from the carb to each cylinder. I don't imagine that would apply to a carbureted 6-banger, because some cylinders will necessarily be closer to the carb than others.

This is what the Lycoming Operator's manual for the O-320 claims (publication 60297-16, page 1-3):

Avco Lycoming O-320 series engines are equipped with a float type carburetor. Particularly good distribution of the fuel-air mixture is obtained through the center zone induction system, which is integral with the oil sump and is submerged in oil, insuring a more uniform varporization of fuel ...

Granted, that sounds like marketing BS, but my experience is that I actually can fly LOP-WOT smoothly in my PA-28-161 burning around 7.5 GPH instead of 10.0 GPH at 75% power, following the instructions from the 1982 Piper Warrior II POH (P/N 761 780, page 4-21):

a simplified leaning procedure which consistently allows accurate achievement of best engine efficiency has been developed. Best Economy Cruise performance is obtained with the throttle fully open. To obtain a desired cruise power setting, set the throttle and mixture control full forward, taking care not to exceed the engine speed limitation, then begin leaning the mixture. The RPM will increase slightly but will then begin to decrease. Continue leaning until the desired cruise engine RPM is reached.

This approach wouldn't work for a constant-speed prop, but for anyone else with a carbureted 4-banger and a fixed-pitch prop, you might want to give this a try.

Latest posts

Back