• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Looking to buy Archer II with runout engine and old avionics

N677ap

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase an Archer II, with an engine at TBO and old avionics. I don't want a plane with high TTAF, in the 3xxx range would be good.

I want to put a new engine in and update the avionics to what I want in it. So, if you have a plane that fits what I'm looking for, shoot me a PM with information on what you have and what you would like to get for it.

Thanks!

Morgan3820

Reaction score
I know that you wanted old and runout, but there is a nice Archer II on ebay.

N677ap

Reaction score
I know that you wanted old and runout, but there is a nice Archer II on ebay.
I saw those. One is missing logs. The other is priced too high for what I want to do.

I either want a plane that has low time SMOH with low to average TTAF, and completely updated avionics, including moving maps and ADS-B compliant for 2020 (I expect to pay a good amount of $$$ for this), or a plane that is runout on the engine and old avionics. The latter will allow me to rebuild the engine and put in the avionics I desire. I expect to pay significantly less for this type of plane. Either option must have complete logs and be corrosion free.

Morgan3820

Reaction score
My Warrior was a repo. It was in great shape and has been a really great plane but the logs didn't make it. The former owner did a lot of work, new paint, engine rebuild and then must have had some financial issues due to the 2007 recession. A lot can be reconstructed from FAA records and the seller redid all of the airworthiness directives. I decided that I really did not care when the oil changes were done in 1982. Archers are really simple aircraft to inspect. Any damage repair will be documented on 337's. The FAA will send you a CD with all available records for $10. Rebuilding the engine will 'clear the books'

Currently looking at another plane with all logs present. Owner was proud of this. my thought was , who cares about an annual inspection from 1977 and two rebuilds ago. The 1975 is going cheap. Logs do not make the plane fly any better.

Last edited:

N677ap

Reaction score
Since I'm not getting any replies and really not finding anything, I'm posting a new thread with different requirements...

N677ap

Reaction score
Depends on what avionics it has, total hours and engine time. I'm open at this point. What do you have?

philiplane

A&P, IA, CFI, CFII, MEI,
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase an Archer II, with an engine at TBO and old avionics. I don't want a plane with high TTAF, in the 3xxx range would be good.

I want to put a new engine in and update the avionics to what I want in it. So, if you have a plane that fits what I'm looking for, shoot me a PM with information on what you have and what you would like to get for it.

Thanks!
try this one, I know of it and it's probably a good fit for you.
http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/17771025/1977-piper-archer-ii

philiplane

A&P, IA, CFI, CFII, MEI,
Reaction score
Typical TT for 1975-1980 Archers is 4000 to 6000 hours, you will be hard pressed to find a 3000 hour plane, and then you will be more likely to find engine internal corrosion or airframe corrosion. Sitting is bad for planes. It's best to look for one that's been flown at least 100 hours per year, preferably 150-200 so there is littel chance of internal corrosion. So a 1977 Archer is 40 years old, and a 3000 hour one would be flown 75 hours a year or less. And you will find that they accumulate most of the hours early on, so you'll see planes flying less than 50 hours a year as they age, and that's where the problems start. So don't blindly look for low total time and expect a plane to be better. I can't tell you how many spar corrosion repair and premature engine repair jobs I've done on "low time" PA28's.

High time for any PA28 is more than 15,000 hours.

Latest posts