• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Looking for Cherokee6/300, Lance or Saratoga. 100k or less.

Warrior669

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking for a Cherokee 6/300, Lance or Saratoga. Upgrading from a Warrior. Looking to spend under 100k if possible. Don't want anything that will need an overhaul or major repairs anytime soon.

arkvet

Reaction score
Good luck with the search. I bought an 80' fixed gear Saratoga last summer and had a similar budget. Found an incredible deal by noticing a listing only a few hours old on Barnstormers. As luck would have it the plane was really close to me and a deposit check was signed within a couple days of initial contact. The plane has had a couple minor squawks that weren't unexpected.

Know what you want and have some available funds ready to go to work. Watch the major listing sites daily, especially the "new listings". Great deals can be had but they won't last.

Again, good luck.

arkvet

Reaction score
http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1312021/1976-piper-lance

this one looks pretty nice. I've been staring at it for about a month now. Maybe one of these days I'll move up.

MOH 25 years ago with 869 hours SMOH = ~35 hours / year. This plane has definitely sat for a while sometime / somewhere. It may be perfectly fine but I wouldn't put much if any value in the engine. I bought my first plane in 2014 with ~1600 hours on the engine. I hadn't even taken my checkride yet. I figured I had ~400 hours left on the engine. Isn't that how the math works? lol

Anyway, I slept in the doghouse for quite a while when I had to tell the wife I had to overhaul the engine after a couple months of ownership. My oh my wasn't that an educational period of time for me!

kfbagt

Reaction score
you're exactly right, a good prebuy that involves pulling a cylinder or two and inspecting internally would be prudent. adjust your offer accordingly and t should be a good buy for someone.

Last edited:

arkvet

Reaction score
If the seller is willing to allow that to be done, then you bet, that's the best way to know what you're getting. From what I understand a lot of sellers won't like the idea of pulling a cylinder for a variety of reasons, some that are fairly legit.

At the least a thorough borescope of the cylinders and that's not intrusive at all.

I'm actually a fan of buying a plane with a TBO engine if the price is right. Factor the eventual OH (and cost) into the overall purchase price and you have nothing to lose (value wise) and potentially a significant gain if you're ok with going over TBO while simply closely monitoring things well.

Blackroc

Reaction score
This one is in Canada and priced in CAD so it should be in the 80's in US dollars.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-other/e...tt/1143716716?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

One of the lowest time aircraft out there.
Engine 1094 SMOH
Prop OH 2009 199 since overhaul
Interior and glass done in 2011. Leather seats, very comfortable
Stereo intercom with separate input for front two seats and rear four seats
SL30 nav/com with glide slope installed in 2015
An EI MVP-50P engine monitor. Full large screen monitor was installed in 2014
Plane power alternator
Piper Autopilot - works great
Everything works in the plane, no snags
Fuel servo and divider done in 2014
Mags and wires done in 2014
Engine baffels new in 2014
Power pack 2015
2124 pounds empty
98 gal fuel
This aircraft has never wanted for maintenance. Get in her and fly across North America today.
Aircraft has been hangared since day one. Always an Alberta plane, and I'm the second owner.
Can deliver for expenses. No problem offering transition training as well.
Ask questions; I will answer promptly.
If you wish to fly, it is $250 to go for a flight. This will be refunded if you buy.
I'm open to offers as well.

EchoDelta

Reaction score
If the seller is willing to allow that to be done, then you bet, that's the best way to know what you're getting. From what I understand a lot of sellers won't like the idea of pulling a cylinder for a variety of reasons, some that are fairly legit.

At the least a thorough borescope of the cylinders and that's not intrusive at all........
I'd bet that the number of sellers willing to allow some unknown mechanic to disassemble and reassemble his/her engine to the extent of pulling one or more cylinders would be pretty close to zero. There are just too many ways to screw things up. Beyond that, who's going to pay the several hundred dollars the work will cost?

If a borescopic inspection indicates lack of corrosion or scuffing on the cylinder walls, and there is no other reason to suspect problems with the camshaft or crank, you are probably going to be OK. It's just not practical to verify the condition of every component on a used aircraft you are considering buying.

kfbagt

Reaction score
I had a cylinder pulled on my plane as part of the pre-buy, it was in the offer as part of the terms. plane hadn't flown much in the last 10 yrs. My case may be a little different because I bought the plane from my own home airport and had the work done by the same mechanic who worked on it for years. But it was part of the deal.

arkvet

Reaction score
It's just not practical to verify the condition of every component on a used aircraft you are considering buying.
Agree 100%

I had a cylinder pulled on my plane as part of the pre-buy, it was in the offer as part of the terms. plane hadn't flown much in the last 10 yrs. My case may be a little different because I bought the plane from my own home airport and had the work done by the same mechanic who worked on it for years. But it was part of the deal.
I'd say being the same mechanic / same field likely made all the difference in the world.

Latest posts