• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Looking for a Tomahawk

Needsomeroom

Reaction score
I am looking for a tomahawk that has been pampered, with low times, good cosmetics, and ideally an interesting panel.
I just joined the forum and look forward to the discussions. Thanks.

arkvet

Reaction score
I am looking for a tomahawk that has been pampered, with low times, good cosmetics, and ideally an interesting panel.

I just joined the forum and look forward to the discussions. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum! I hope you can find what you're looking for but think looking for a pampered tomahawk might be like looking for a veteran hockey player with no scars.

You'll have find a "bench warmer".

Again, welcome :)

ArcherIIowner

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure why your wanting a Tomahawk, but there are very, very few of them around and especially in the condition that your looking for. I've never flown one, but have heard that they have had some issues and that's why the production run was so short for them.

A quick look at Trade A Plane and Barnstormers only netted 3 planes on the market now and one was in Germany, another in Canada and the third is in pieces on a trailer!

Needsomeroom

Reaction score
Yeah, I might be a little strange on this one, but I've owned two Tomahawks in the past, well aware of the pros and really overblown cons. Really like how they fly, the interior room and visibility. Since I've really got no place I need to go, I don't see the need to get there fast.

jruhnke

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure why your wanting a Tomahawk, but there are very, very few of them around and especially in the condition that your looking for. I've never flown one, but have heard that they have had some issues and that's why the production run was so short for them.
I doubt there has ever been a plane about which more FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) has been spread, mostly by people who have never flown one. :rolleyes:

There is a pretty recent thread with comments/info about Tomahawks (not so much for the OP who's already familiar, but maybe for others interested in them): http://www.piperforum.com/showthread.php?t=5911

Last edited:

arkvet

Reaction score
I started training in a tomahawk and did my first solo in one before buying my Cherokee 180.

It was a blast to fly. I agree with the cons being waaaay blown out of proportion by people that know nothing about them.

Kristin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started teaching in them in 1981. I must have the better part of 1000 hours in them. I have owned one and flown it regularly on cross-countries of up to 400 mails. It is a great little airplane. I love doing touch and goes in the things. I can more consistently paint a Tomahawk on the runway than any other airplane. The only negative is that it is not good on a soft field as you can't lever the nose gear out of the soft earth/mud/whatever. It is a small price to pay for the visibility, elbow room, and generally nice handling characteristics.

ArcherIIowner

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt there has ever been a plane about which more FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) has been spread, mostly by people who have never flown one. :rolleyes:

There is a pretty recent thread with comments/info about Tomahawks (not so much for the OP who's already familiar, but maybe for others interested in them): http://www.piperforum.com/showthread.php?t=5911
I admit, never have had the opportunity to fly one. Wish that I could have as I have thought that they were a pretty good plane as well. And yes, I've heard all of the negatives about the plane as well as the positives from the ones that have actually flown them and love them. It's too bad that Piper doesn't bring them back into production. The need for an affordable flight trainer/personal airplane like this is there I would think.

Needsomeroom

Reaction score
I started teaching in them in 1981. I must have the better part of 1000 hours in them. I have owned one and flown it regularly on cross-countries of up to 400 mails. It is a great little airplane. I love doing touch and goes in the things. I can more consistently paint a Tomahawk on the runway than any other airplane. The only negative is that it is not good on a soft field as you can't lever the nose gear out of the soft earth/mud/whatever. It is a small price to pay for the visibility, elbow room, and generally nice handling characteristics.
I agree on the landings, not a floater, pays off very consistently, and very nice in crosswinds. If you happen to stumble into a good one please let me know, I'm down in Palo Alto.

Latest posts