• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Looking for a Cherokee 180/ Archer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been looking at all of the major (and minor) websites looking for a PA-28 Cherokee or Archer. I am going to use it for earning my PPL followed by IR, and haul my wife and two kids on weekend trips, and solo fly or fly with one or two people. I have a list of things that I want in a plane.

Price: $60,000 or less

1000 or less hours SMOH
Paint and Interior at least 6/10 (at the higher end of the price, I want 7.5/10)
WAAS and ADS-B

I had considered adding the updated Nav and ADS-B myself, as I have found planes in the $30,000-$40,000 range that need the Nav updates. The problem is that it seems that the planes that don't have those tend to be closer to 4or 5/10 on the inside or outside.

I found the plane that I think I want, and I was hoping that you could tell me what you think. Based on the asking prices that I have seen in my research, it seems not to be too far off. The owner bought it for basically the same reason I did, but now he is relocating to the West Coast and doesn't want to take the plane. He sent me a link to a ton of photos. He did take a lot of close-ups too. I would put the interior and exterior at a 7-7.5/10 based on the pictures.

1966 PA28-180C $54,900
TT 3300
SMOH 906
SPOH 162
Painted 2001
Leather seats
No damage history
Dual Garmin G5 ADI and DG with vac system eliminated installed 6-2018
Garmin GTX335 (w/built in WAAS GPS) ADS-B out transponder installed 6-2018
Stratus 2S ADSB in provides real time traffic and weather
Terra 200D digital Nav/Com with Terra Tri Nav digital CDI (loc/gs/vor)
TKM 300C digital Nav/Com with King CDI (loc/gs/vor)
Terra audio panel
Dual Push to Talk on yokes
Avionics master
LED position and landing/taxi lights
Regularly flown and always hangared (He bought mid-2017 and has put just over 100 hours on it.
Fine wire spark plugs
Balanced prop
Custom cover and cowl plugs
Annual completed 9/2018: new left magneto and alternator belt, new ELT Battery, A&P noted plane is very clean
Compression: 1-76 2-78 3-78 4-77
Transponder cert due 9/2019
All logs since new. He is digitizing them to send to me. I only have the last year right now.

The owner also gave me the name and number of his CFI (Ron Hall) and A&P (Lonnie Ward) in TN.
He has the airplane at Murfreesboro Airport. Mike Jones Aircraft is there, and he restores Navajos so I am going to call him to see about doing a pre-buy with avionics check. If that is all good, then either he will fly to me or I will fly to him to look at the plane and make a final decision.

I have applied for a pre-approval at AOPA for a loan and requested an insurance quote. If I should check somewhere else as well, please let me know. From what I have read AOPA is pretty good in both those categories.

Sorry for the long post. I like to be thorough.

Happy New Year!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back