• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Looking back at flight training after 52 years…..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yep…….became a CFI that long ago and am still training….looking back I believe everything has happened……Sometimes I think a book would be good to do…

So lets talk about it while i am still around. I have owned a plane for 50 years and the FAA gave me an award for not wrecking a plane for 50 years too. I should say there are about 5000 pilots that also received the converted Wright Brothers award…..

My last in flight event was a Mag failure, but no problem/we were close to an airport and we did have another one that brought us home. before that last month a stuck valve in an 0-300 but we were on the ground…..

I have former students flying for the airlines…..and corporate and that makes me feel good.

I needed a flight review and John my last CFI student gave me the ride…Then he signed off his brother who was my student and finished him for his PPL….

So after one off airport landing, low weather approaches low on fuel, Vacuum pump and mag failures, aircraft control failures, dead batteries, engine problems, blown tires, brake failures,smoking radios, near mid-air collisions, instrument failures, plus two single engine landings in twins… I would do it all again…..of course not knowing all this could happen is a good thing…..

So 52 years of flying in many different aircraft from business jets, twin piston and all kinds of singles totaling 10,000 hours, which is not a lot compared to many out there it was fun…..and I am still going…..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back