• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Looking at a Saratoga II TC, new to the brand and need information

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3KFlying

Reaction score
Greetings, plane is under contract and my wife and I have set our sights on a Saratoga II TC. I have tried searching the forum but I haven't had success as I am not sure if the data is for a Saratoga, Lance or Arrow so I figured I would just ask. There are non local to us, stationed at KPOC in Southern California, so we can't get our hands on one to fiddle with and before we fly half way across the Country I'd like some info.

Very stupid question, are there keys? I have tried to zoom into panels of planes we are looking at and I can;t find a keyhole. Also the overhead switches has one that says start and 2 that says mag.

Ok, now that my stupid question of the day is out there here are more questions and ones I am sure will make a few roll their eyes :). If it helps I did download a POH I found but I like real world numbers.

Cruise Speed and fuel flow, while searching I have read people getting 14-20gph. I run my planes 65% usually, I like longevity over being slightly faster. Also the fuel savings from flying 65% vs. 75% was a few gallons in my previous plane.

Climb performance at MGW, warm days 35* c, DA of 7,500+. Do they still climb well? Book says I should expect 400-500, realistic? On the West Coast we do visit high airport in the summer on warm days.

Maintenance, anything that needs to be looked at?
Service Bulletins, some have the fixes and others don't. Are there any that I need to make sure were done recently?
ADs.... I was told to never assume these were taken care of.

There are 2 planes we are focused on right now:

1) 1999 Saratoga II TC from Bartlet Aviation, I like John.
231 SMOH, includes full turbo rebuild
2,221 TTAF
1,235 since prop overhaul, 144 since reseal
GTX 330ES (I'd upgrade to GTX345)
S-Tec 55
GMX-200
GDL-69
WX-500
1,003 useful load

2) 1999 Saratoga II TC
20 SMOH, includes turbo rebuild and most accessories
20 SPOH
2,550 TTAF
GTX 345
S-Tec 55X
1,045 useful load

Both have A/C
GMA340
GNS430
Copilot Primary Flight Intrument Panel (Full)

Their prices are relatively the same, $290k. Equipment wise #2 has the transponder I'd put in anyways and already has the 55x. Within a year or 2 I would be putting in glass, probably Aspen 2500 as that is what was in my plane we just sold and GTN750.

#1 has the executive table which I hated when I Saw it in pics. But after talking to John and speaking with the wife I think it's awesome now. But the planes useful load is only 1,003lbs with it...

#2 has warranty with the prop and engine which is nice, engine was done by Johnston Aircraft in California, prop by Redline.

Both their useful loads suck, but that's what you get with a modern Saratoga. We are a family of 3, 360lbs combined. My wife can't go 3 hours without peeing herself so if we went half tanks (if my assumption of 14gph is correct at 65%) that leaves us just over 400lbs for bags or additional passengers.

So now I am here with all of you fine folks to tell me the good, bad and dirty.

Latest posts

Back