• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Lone Star Air Rally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CivEngPE

Reaction score
This past weekend my wife and I participated in the Lone Star Air Rally in Galveston, Texas with our 1973 Cherokee 180. The course was 120 miles long and we had some pretty stiff winds (30kts crosswind) along the majority of the course. Our final average speed was 148 mph! I was really impressed. I have never flown this plane that fast and would not have believed it without doing it myself. For the most part, we were averaging 160 mph TAS. Once you take into account the crabbing needed to compensate for the crosswind and flying wide around the turns that explains the lower average speed.

I would not ever do this on a real x-country as we were burning some serious fuel the whole time.

I would encourage everyone to try this out as it was a real blast! http://www.sportairrace.org/

Latest posts

Back