• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Lindberg book

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweety

Reaction score
I've been re-reading Lindberg's "Spirit of St Louis" book. I read it before as a teenager and was somewhat put off by the tedious detail in his logs and his recollections of his past, but now as a pilot I marvel at the details. Imagine flying 2300 miles over open ocean on "dead reckoning" without navigation aides and making landfall within a few miles of the planned point. Flying hours in zero visibility with only rudimentary instruments. Managing fuel from multiple tanks without gauges. Flying a plane that was deliberately so unstable that one couldn't stop using the controls for a minute without it falling off into a spin.

The other things that caught my attention was that prior to the famous flight, he served in the Army reserves as a flying instructor while barnstorming the country ("See your farm for $5, sure you can bring your sweetheart/wife/mother along too"), all without holding a license or having a licensed mechanic service his plane. He received his Commerce Department pilot's license (number 6) while in New York waiting to take off for Paris, AFTER having flown cross-country from San Diego. While flying the mail, he had to jump from two different aircraft due to poor visibility at night.

On his early attempt at a cross-country flight he crashed at Pensacola, and the Navy there assisted him with repairs. Try that today.

There were at least four other competitors that were close to making the Paris flight when he did. All were better financed and had better planes with better equipment (some even had radios) and all others failed, yet some were willing to assist him making repairs and preparations for his flight. Flying was a brotherhood then

Latest posts

Back