• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Left Seat/Right Seat and Logging safety pilot time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartmc

Reaction score
A guy at the airport just got his PPL he wants to fly and I don't mind taking him up etc... He said he'd fly as a safety pilot for me if i wanted to put the foggles on. Seems like a win/win for both of us. He gets free time and I get IFR hood time without an instructor's bill at the end. So, whats the best way to go about this?

I'm assuming he's about a 65ish hour PPL at this point and has only flown a Cessna 150. My insurance covers anybody with a PPL so insurance shouldn't be an issue, but would you have him go up with the CFI and get checked out anyway?

Also, as far as logging time, If I have this straight. I can log PIC time for takeoff/landing (assuming Im the one that does them) then Simulated IFR when im under the hood and he can log PIC while im under the hood, is that correct?

Does left seat/right seat mean anything? I flew 00W for about 5 hours right seat and landed half a dozen times but didn't log it since there was a CFI in the left seat.

Latest posts

Back