• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Leaving planes to rot.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just venting. I have noticed at nearly every airport I visit, there is always one or more planes just sitting out in the tie downs that have obviously not seen the sky in years. During my flight training years ago, there was this mooney that sat in the tie down area with flat tires and just slowly rotting away. The FBO said the owner paid the tie down fees a year at a time but never showed up to do anything to it for several years.
WTF? Why own a plane that you just let to sit in an old hangar, or worse, on a tie down for years on end. I have a hard time imagining why anyone would ever do that. Anyone that has even a tiny interest in aviation would find that appalling. The only thing I can imagine is that it used to be a parent's plane and they passed on. The children had no interest. But why not just sell it? Why keep paying for a hangar or tie down while the value of the plane plummets.
Why do people let perfectly good planes die?

Latest posts

Back