• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Leaning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartmc

Reaction score
So the air is finally warming up around here and the Density altitudes and air temp are going up. Full fuel and 1 passenger, took me a while to get up to Mode C land. I have a few leaning questions. During my PPL training we never went up very high 7500 ft and then on only a couple of occasions. we kept it rich for the climb then pulled the mixture out until the engine coughed then enrichened it until we got a 50 degree drop. My plane has a 4 cylinder digital EGT and I was told to keep it under 1450. So, do i lean little along the way in a long climb or just keep it rich until i get to our altitude? Also, my engine wants to run better when the EGT on the hottest cylinder is around 1450, if i richen it up to get it down to 1400 or so it just doesn't seem to be running as strong or sound as good. It was really a chess match between me and the engine to get it safely under 1450 at the RPM setting I want and running like i want to hear it run or maybe it was the mountain range under me that made me hear nuances in the engine so well.

Latest posts

Back