• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Landing Light - Any Aeroled Sunspot 36 Owners?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On my last night flight, my landing light barely lit up center line while over the threshold, so I'm thinking it is time to replace the old incandescent bulb. I've been looking at a solid LED replacement, and seems the two contenders are the WAT Prometheus G3 and the Aeroled Sunspot 36. From what I've read, it seems the Aeroled is the better light. I see three options that fit my plane, the key differences is the lumens and beam spread.

$249 - SunSpot 36 LXi - 01-1030-L-A - 45W, Lumens:5,000, Beam: 14o x 14o
$349 - SunSpot 36-4509 - 01-1030-4509 - 75W, Lumens:6,500, Beam: 15o x 15o
$650 - SunSpot 36-4313 - 01-1030-4313 - 100W, Lumens:11,000, Beam: 20o x 20o

Are there any folks that have these lights installed in their aircraft that can share their experience? Does the beam spread from 14x14 to 20x20 really make a difference would more than double the cost? Does the extra $100 make a noticeable difference with the 75W version over the 45W? I don't do a ton of night flying, and being an Arrow, there is no taxi light either. My airport at night is pretty dark, there is lighting, but I often need the landing light on to taxi.

Thanks,
Chris

Latest posts

Back