• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Landing gear failed me for the first time in 25 plus years :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comancheflyer

Reaction score
Just finishing up the annual on cubbie the comanche and it was time to exercise the landing gear and it was hesitant to go up a few times if at all. mmm the IA and I thought - probably the wire connectors at the squat switch on the left main (looked a little corroded). Removed the 3 connectors - cleaned them up - re-attached them (after dropping and loosing the itsy bitsy screw multiple times and then playing the sadistic game of hide and seek). Up again ... after a 1 second pause - it goes up. OK - Try again - nothing this time. Back underneath on the creeper. After some more investigation it ended up being a lazy squat switch itself that needed some exercising manually with a flat screw driver to shake the dust and muck off (plane has been sitting for some 9 months out of annual - go figure) Works great now!

Here is a question although ... around 10-12 years ago another IA decided to toss the little spring that USED to attach the the floor board inspection panel above the motor and a little metal arm on the gear motor itself during his re-assembly (that's why I like to disassemble and reassemble the plane myself). Very small and barely any tension. Never had any idea what it was for and has not effected the operation since it has been absent. Any idea what this was intended to do?

Latest posts

Back